Wondering how to take a screenshot on mac as shortcuts are quite confusing for new users. This article is a how-to guide on taking screenshot on mac in different ways !
Screenshots have now become essential for the transmission of information, with immediacy and validity. Screenshots are quite easy on iOS but taking a screenshot on mac is a bit more complex, as we will need to keep in mind some keyboard shortcuts to achieve our goal. In macOS, we have several options regarding the screenshot since we can shoot either the entire screen, or a specific window, or a specific point !
How To Screenshot on Mac ?
Read the official guide from apple !
macOS Mojave – macOS Catalina
Recent versions of macOS (Mojave and Catalina) come with an application that saves your screenshots as PNG files. Press Shift-Command () -5 to get a command prompt at the bottom of the screen, which has several options such as capture entire screen, capture selected window, capture selected portion, and screen recording !
- The first three buttons on the left allow you to take a snapshot of the entire screen, a specific window, or a part of the screen that can be manually selected !
- The following two buttons allow you to start capturing all or parts of your screen !
- The “Options” button lets you choose where you wish to save your snapshot, set a 5 or 10 seconds delay, and show or hide the cursor, and some other options !
- When you are ready, click the “Caputre” button at the far right of the command prompt. The screenshot will be saved to the location that you have selected !
Either you’re in a hurry and don’t want to deal with the command line, or you haven’t upgraded to Mojave or Catalina version, you can still manage to save screenshots on your desktop. The tutorial below shows how to take screenshot using different methods !
How To Take Full Screenshot on Mac ?
- This is the easiest way to take screenshot on macOS. You just need to press & hold Command + Shift + 3 on the keyboard at the same time !
- You will see the screenshot stored on your desktop !
- If you wish to copy the snapshot to the clipboard to paste it into another application, just press Control + Shift + 3 !
How To Take Snapshot of a Single Window ?
- Press Command + Shift + 4 on the keyboard and then the Space Key. You will notice that the cursor changed and became a small camera !
- Move the cursor to a window that you already have open, and you will notice that it is colored. Tap once on the touch pad to take the screenshot !
- The snapshot of the selected window will saved on your Mac !
How To Take Snapshot of a Specific Area ?
- Press Command + Shift + 4 on the keyboard. You will see the cursor turn into a small ruler using which you can crop or select the part of the content on screen !
- Use the touchpad to select the area you want to save as a screenshot. Simply release the touchpad when you are ready to take the screenshot !
- The snapshot will be saved on the location that you assigned !
macOSX – No Print Screen Button
If you are using macOSX and do not have a print screen button, follow these steps:
- Open the “Grab” application, which is usually found in Applications -> Utilities !
- Choose Capture -> Window !
- Click the window of which you want to capture the screenshot !
If you do not frequently use this feature in macOS, you might have difficulty remembering keyboard shortcuts on the mind. However, it will not be a problem if you make sure to keep notes of these shortcuts !
Hi there, I’m aRs ! 😈
I am the founder and manager @ haxk.io blog !
I write content about rooting, jailbreaking, and technology hacks !